Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Problem-Solving Language with the 8th Age- It Makes all the Difference!


Eighth Age boys got to consider the use of problem-solving language as opposed to language that blames or hurts others and exacerbates a situation.  Here are a few examples of comments they had to choose from.  

"Everyone is mean to me" or "I'm having a hard time making friends"

"You never help me!" or "I would like for you to help me"

"You made me do it" or "I shouldn't have done it"

Then they answered the question, "What did you notice about all of the statements that your circled?"  What they noticed was that the correct way of using problem-solving language is to use I-messages and to look at one's own behavior rather than blaming others.

Using connecting statements and messages reframes the problem and opens it up to cooperation and problem-solving amongst students, teachers, and families.  



Blaming Language vs. Problem-Solving Language!



No comments:

Post a Comment