Friday, February 28, 2014

Resilience Builder: Assertiveness with Ninth Age

 
Bo
Ninth Age boys had character lessons about assertiveness and the use of I-messages.  Communication and relationships are strengthened by using these skills.  Being assertive involves stating what you want by using an I-Message, using a firm voice, and looking the person in the eye.  For example: "I feel upset when you interrupt me when I am answering a question in class." Our lesson also examined the words passive and aggressive.  Oftentimes, one student tends to be passive in a relationship because he doesn't want a friend to be mad at him.  He may avoid conflict by agreeing or going along with the other's plans or ideas.  If this happens on a regular basis, the passive student doesn't share feelings or needs and can get "lost" in the complex world of friendships.  An aggressive student can harm others- emotionally or physically- by being bossy, setting the rules, and being in control at all times.  This style is not a successful one for making and keeping friends!  Ideally, you learn to be assertive by standing up for yourself and your needs, being respectful through the use of I-messages, and being courageous because it is not easy to master these skills!  The boys were very creative as they wrote I-messages based on behaviors such as spreading rumors and cutting in front of someone at lunch. Many volunteered to read their I-messages to their classmates.
Henry

Teddy

Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment